Tuesday, October 15, 2013

RLS

There are security guards everywhere in Manila and in most stores in the Philippines in general. I mean everywhere. Every mall entrance, every store and fast food restaurant, at every light-rail entrance, there is a security guard in a white uniform, often with a metal detector or a little wooden wand. Their job is to search your bag and "feel up on you", which is when they feel you waist area for a gun. They are looking for guns and knives, because apparently, theres kind of a big problem of people bringing these in the light-rail or into a mall. However, the searches are often half-hearted at best, and usually they don't expect the white kid to be bringing in dangerous contraband to hurt people in the mall.

The strangest experience so far was when I was walking out of this giant department store, Landmark, into a giant mall. Before I had stepped into line or made eye contact with a guard, I hear "Hey, dude, what's up?", and see the security guard beckon me over. I say a typically suspicious "hello", and he says "Dude, you wanna know why you are so lucky? Because youre so handsome!" And as I try to open my bag for examination, he jovially slaps me on the back out the door, and says "Have a good day, handsome!" Very professional for a middle-aged security guard who is supposed to be making sure I don't have dangerous weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment